Feb 14, 2023
Strike Force Parrabell, and the work of the NSW Police Force, will again be the focus when the second public hearing of the Special Commission of Inquiry into LGBTIQ hate crimes resumes on Wednesday.
This second stage of the hearing will hear evidence from current and former senior NSW Police Force officers in relation to a range of matters including aspects of Strike Forces Parrabell, Neiwand and Macnamir and Operation Taradale, and from the academics whose review of the methodology and results of the Strike Force Parrabell police officers formed part of the Final Report of Strike Force Parrabell.
The Inquiry will also hear expert evidence in relation to Strike Force Parrabell.
It is anticipated that the following witnesses will be called to give oral evidence:
- Detective Sergeant Steve Morgan – Investigation Supervisor, Strike Force Neiwand.
- Former Deputy Commissioner Michael Willing – former Commander, Homicide Squad.
- Former Detective Sergeant Steven Page – Officer in Charge, Operation Taradale.
- Associate Professor Derek Dalton – Member of the Flinders University academic review team.
- Professor Willem de Lint – Member of the Flinders University academic review team.
- Professor Nicole Asquith – Professor of Policing and Emergency Management, University of Tasmania.
- Associate Professor Austin Lovegrove – Honorary Principal Fellow, University of Melbourne Law School.
- Martha Coakley – Former Attorney General of Massachusetts.
This part of the hearing is expected to run over approximately two weeks, commencing on Wednesday 15 February 2023 at the Chief Secretary’s Building, Level 2, 121 Macquarie Street, Sydney. The hearing is open to the public and will be livestreamed via the Inquiry’s website.
The Honourable Justice John Sackar will preside at the hearing. Counsel Assisting the Inquiry will be Peter Gray SC, Claire Palmer and Meg O’Brien.
Journalists wishing to cover the hearing should notify the Inquiry’s media team to ensure access to the media room and/or relevant information including schedules and transcripts.
All inquiries regarding this hearing should be directed to [email protected].